Friday, April 16, 2004

An update on last night's adventure:
I go to the screening. It's great. Kevbo's movie rocks. Ron's movie rocks. I really should get the hell out of there as soon as the post-screening reception starts, but I cannot turn down free wine. The wine sucks. But it's free, and it gets you trashed with just one sip. After one glass of wine, I want to hug everybody. So I do. Finally, it's 11pm. The airport post office closes at 11:59pm. It is about 25-30 minutes away. I mention to J Dz that I have to make the journey to the westside. His face drains of all color. "Taxes are due today?" I offer him a ride to the airport. It's now 11:15pm. J Dz wants to "say goodbye" to a few people. That's code for: "There's a few people here that may want to meet up with me later and I have to check it out." I'd like to think I'm good at deciphering boy code. Perhaps I'm not, but 9 times out of 10 my instincts are right. Finally, it's 11:30pm. I leave without J Dz. See ya sucka. Traffic's not bad. I get there at 11:54pm. There is a line of cars moving slowly along the street outside the entrance to the post office. When I get closer, I see that the drivers are all rolling by and chucking their envelopes into a big bin sitting on the sidewalk. There is an assortment of envelopes all around the bin - evidence of somebody with bad aim. I decide not to chance it. I drive into the lot and park my car. People are running. Some are pushing. Channel 4 news is there. I dodge the camera. Some young guy steps up to the even bigger bin on the curb outside the post office. He slam-dunks his tax return and raises his arms in victory. This gets me hot. I'm standing behind two old men who are ready to smackdown. The strangest things bring out the hate in some people. It's 11:57pm. Mission accomplished. I roll on through the BK drive-thru and munch on french fries the entire way home.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Listed on BlogShares Blogarama - The Blog Directory
[ Registered ]